Jobs That Do Not Require a Work Permit in Canada (Full Guide)
Are you a foreign national in Canada or planning to travel to Canada to work but you’re thinking if you can do any job in Canada without a work permit.
You will be happy to know that there are some jobs in Canada that work permit is not required which we will be walking you through those kind of jobs in this article.
Before move ahead, let’s understand what work permit is all about.
You may also want to read 7 Easy Ways To Migrate To Canada
What is Work Permit
A work permit, also known as a work visa is simply the permission to take a job within a foreign country.
A work permit, is a legal document authorizing a foreign national to engage in employment and receive compensation from a Canadian employer.
Types of Jobs That Do Not Require a Work Permit in Canada
In order to qualify for a work permit exemption, a person’s job must be on this list below:
- Athlete or coach
- Aviation accident or incident investigator
- Business visitor
- Civil aviation inspector
- Convention organizer
- Emergency service provider
- Expert witness or investigator
- Family member of foreign representative
- Foreign government officer or representative
- Health care student
- Judge, referee or similar official
- Military personnel
- News reporter or film and media crew
- Producer or staff member working on advertisements
- Performing artist
- Short-term highly-skilled worker
- Short-term researcher
- Student working off-campus
- Student working on-campus
Athlete or coach
If you are a foreign national who is a member of a foreign athletic team who is competing in Canada, you may be exempt from requiring a work permit. This provision covers athletes, coaches, and other members of foreign teams. If you are a part of a Canadian team, you will require a work permit.
Aviation Accident or Incident Investigator
If you are accredited as an agent or adviser to investigate aviation accidents and/or other incidents you may be exempt from requiring a work permit to carry out such investigative work in Canada. To qualify for the exemption, the investigation must be under Transportation Accident Investigation and Safety Board Act.
Business Visitors are foreign nationals who travel to Canada to undertake business activities but do not enter the Canadian labour market. If you meet the definition of a business visitor, you may be exempt from requiring a Canadian work permit.
Note: There is a significant difference between a business visitor and a business person, ensure that you meet the definition to qualify for the exemption.
Civil aviation inspector
If you are employed to check the flight operations and cabin safety of international flights through Canada, you may qualify for a work permit exemption.
You may also want to read Fully Funded Canada Scholarships 2022/2023 For International Students
If you organize or run international conventions or international meetings you may qualify for a work permit exemption. Please note that this exemption only applies to organizers, those providing hands-on services (audio-visual services, for example) during such conventions must have the appropriate work authorization.
Emergency service provider
If you are a foreign national who will be working in Canada to provide services during an emergency, you may qualify for a work permit exemption. Your services must be to help preserve life and/or property in Canada. Emergencies include both natural disasters, like fires or floods, as well as industrial accidents which threaten the environment.
Expert witness or investigator
If you are working in Canada to provide evidence before a regulatory body, a tribunal, or a court of law, you may be eligible for a work permit exemption.
Family member of foreign representative
If you are the spouse or child or a foreign representative, you may be eligible for a Canadian work permit exemptions. In order to qualify, you must meet the following conditions:
- You must be accredited by Global Affairs Canada (GAC) including a GAC counterfoil in your passport.
- You must have a letter of no objection issued by GAC. This letter is normally only issued if a reciprocal employment agreement exists between Canada and another country.
Foreign government officer or representative
You may qualify for a work permit exemption if you meet any of the three following conditions:
- You are an employee of a foreign government working under an exchange agreement which allows officials to work in governments in your country and in Canada.
- You are a foreign diplomat or official representative of another country.
- You are a foreign diplomat or official representative of the United Nations.
Employees of other governments must obtain an official letter if they will be employed in Canada for longer than 3 months.
Health care student
If you are a foreign national who is studying in a healthcare field in Canada and wishes to undertake employment as part of a training program, you may be eligible for a work permit exemption. In order to qualify for the exemption, you must meet the four following conditions:
- You must be participating in clinical clerkships.
- The main goal of your employment is for training purposes.
- You must have written approval from the provincial regulatory body which regulates your profession (please note that not all provinces require this).
- Your training must last less than 4 months.
If you do not meet all of these conditions, you will require a work permit.
If you are a member of the armed forces of another country you may be eligible for a work permit exemption in Canada. To qualify for this exemption, you must have movement orders stating that you are entering Canada under the Visiting Forces Act.
News reporter or film and media crew
If you are a foreign national working in Canada as a news reporter or on a film and media crew, you may qualify for a work permit exemption. To qualify you must meet one of the following conditions:
- You must be a news reporter or a member of a news reporter’s crew.
- You must be a member of a film or media crew who will not enter the Canadian labour market.
- You must be a journalist who works for a print, radio, television, or web-based publication which is not Canadian.
- You must be a resident correspondent.
- You must be a manager or clerical staff member of an event of less than 6 months duration.
Producer or staff member working on advertisements
If you are entering Canada to work on a foreign-financed commercial/advertising shoot for television, magazines, or other media, you may qualify for a work permit exemption. In order to qualify, you must have one of the following roles:
- Film producer
- Other essential personnel
This exemption only applies to short term employment, usually lasting no more than 2 weeks.
Jobs That Do Not Require a Work Permit in Canada
Happy Nigeria Independence Day Messages And Wishes 2022
100+ Happy New Month Wishes And Messages For October 2022
Week 13 Pool Result For Saturday 1st October 2022 – Pool Tips
8 Strategies To Grow Your Business With A Loan
NECO Result Checker Portal 2022 | result.neco.gov.ng
EPL Game Week 9 Full Fixtures And Predictions 2022/2023
Dollar To Naira Today Black Market Rate 30th September 2022
Latest ASUU Strike Update For Today 30th September 2022
Npower Latest News On August Stipend For Today Friday 30th September 2022
DStv Reduces the Cost of ShowMax Pro and Streaming Bouquets
Tips2 years ago
Best Android VPN Apps in 2020 (Full List)
How To11 months ago
How To Migrate To Airtel RCCG Plan 2021 – All You Need To Know
Tips2 years ago
Difference and Similarities Between Glo Yakata and Glo Berekete Tarrif Plans
Business & Loans8 months ago
Nirsal Microfinance Bank Sends Important Notice To NIB Applicants
Business & Loans8 months ago
NMFB AGSMEIS SME Loan Online Assessment Test Questions & Answers
News8 months ago
JAMB Announces Official Date For 2022 UTME Registration
Business & Loans8 months ago
Latest NPower News For Today Monday 24th January 2022
News9 months ago
WAEC GCE 2022 Registration Form Instructions and Guidelines